Skip to main content

About this Show

Anderson Cooper 360

News/Business. (2013) (CC)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Lance Armstrong 15, Betsy 6, Usada 6, Lance 6, Greg Lemond 5, France 4, Us 4, Kristin 4, Jeffrey Toobin 3, Floyd Landis 3, Daniel 3, Chicago 2, United States 2, Europe 2, Fredrick Buttaccio 2, Daniel Coyle 2, Dan 2, Betsy Andreu 2, Frankie 2, Haiti 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Anderson Cooper 360    News/Business.  (2013)  (CC)  

    January 19, 2013
    1:00 - 2:00am PST  

1:00am
>> hands down, period, the end. >> why is he so good? >> because he did "fast times" and "dead men walking." he did "mystic river" and "milk." he does things that you always feel like you're spying on him, that you're invading his private space. he's that good. >> i love his passionate intensity. >> it's amazing. >> lived in basically a tent in haiti for eight or nine months. it takes real commitment. >> he's a 100% dude. >> who is the best actress? >> wow. wow. you'd have to almost -- you'd have to go with streep i think, you know. >> just for sheer amount of amazing -- >> just oscar count, yeah. >> pretty phenomenal. >> it's crazy. >> if she's not nominated -- >> something is wrong. >> will you watch the oscars? >> i will, indeed. >> a lot of good movies. have you seen lincoln. >> i have not but i'm told i should. >> he's great. >> he's number two. >> daniel day-lewis. >> tommy lee jones is brilliant.
1:01am
>> and hell of a nice guy here. >> are you still winning, charlie? >> today i am with you. absolutely. >> it's been brilliant to see you again. >> likewise. thank you so much. >> come back again. >> you're an absolute pro. >> thank you. >> i appreciate it. >> that's all for us tonight. anderson cooper starts now. we all know there's a good network he sort of broke down telling oprah what it was like as a father of five kids to lie to a child, to lie to a son, his son luke. >> when this all really started, i saw my son defending me and saying, that's not true. what you're saying about my dad is not true. and it almost goes to this question of why now.
1:02am
you know, he can't -- yeah. that's when i knew i had to tell him. >> what did you say? >> i said, listen, there's been a lot of questions about your dad. my career, whether i doped or did not dope. i have always denied that, and i have always been ruthless and defiant about that. you guys have seen that. that's probably why you trusted me on it, which make it is even sicker. and i said i want you to know that it's true. i told luke. i said -- i said don't defend me anymore.
1:03am
don't. >> did he say anything? >> he just said, look, you know, i love you. you're my dad. this won't change that. >> emotional moments. no tears visible but probably the most emotional lance armstrong got in the whole 2 1/2-hour interview. armstrong talked about another painful moment when the cancer foundation he founded livestrong said it was through with him. >> none of my kids have said, dad, you're out. none ever my friends have said, hey, lance, you're out.
1:04am
the foundation is like my sixth child, and to make that decision and to step aside was, that was big. >> they made it for you. >> i was aware -- i wouldn't at all say forced out, told to leave. i was aware of the pressure, and, yes, i had interactions with doug and with some of the board members. it was the best thing for the organization, but it hurt like hell. >> lance armstrong with oprah on the own network tonight. last night in part one he admitted he was living, in wiss words, one big lie and every jersey he won he won by cheating. he copped to the doping but he did not say he was a lot more than a user, that he encouraged others on his team to dope. that he pressured them.
1:05am
joining me now, the people who know lance armstrong like few others do, betsy andreu whose husband rode with lance. daniel coyle, author of the book "the secret race." also bill strickland an editor-at-large at "bicycling" magazine, and senior legal analyst jeffrey toobin. betsy, your thoughts, you didn't actually watch the second part of the interview, but now on the totality of what he has said, your thoughts tonight? >> yeah. i didn't. i couldn't watch the interview tonight not because i didn't want to, i taped it, i will watch it. i have been asked a lot, and for me it's a sense of relief more than vindication, but it's a tremendous sense of sadness. yesterday i was obviously visibly upset, and today it's -- as you said, it's a sense of
1:06am
sadness. >> sadness about what? >> it, how it has affected so many people in such a destructive way. that's why. i mean, it hurts -- obviously it has a toll on lance. so many people in the saga have been hurt. i don't know if you touched upon greg for example. his children, people who just defended him to the ninth or the tenth, whatever you say. he hurt the sport of cycling. he caused it irreparable damage. >> after all he did to you, do you feel sorry for him? >> yeah, i kind of do. >> does that surprise you?
1:07am
>> yeah, considering last week i wasn't showing -- it was more eye for an eye, tooth for the tooth, and this week -- it doesn't mean i think he should get off in any way, shape, or form because my fear is if you were going to get a slap on the wrist, things would go back to the way they were. because after he had cancer, he became a person that i didn't almost -- i didn't recognize. so we have to wait and see. we have to see what's next. i hope that he will testify to usada and tell the truth, and the right thing can be done. i have always said -- he's hurt a lot of people. it can't be underestimated how
1:08am
much he has hurt people, and i don't even think he really understands the emotional toll, the mental toll, the financial toll, but he's going to -- he has to pay the price some way, somehow, and living in his own hell isn't going to -- i don't know if that's going to suffice, but, again, i don't know. i'm a mixed bag of emotions right now. >> you're saying he needs to testify. he actually wasn't asked about that by oprah about whether or not he would testify. he was -- he talked about the punishment that he faces, about being banned from competition. he said i'd love the opportunity to compete. i think i deserve it, that he says he thinks -- >> he said he thinks he deserves it, tonight? >> yeah, quote -- he said i think i deserve it. he also said everybody else got
1:09am
a six-month suspension. oprah said did you get what you deserve? he said i deserve to be punished, quoting i'm not sure i deserve a death penalty. i just want to play this sound here. >> this may not be the most popular answer, but i think i deserve it. maybe not right now, but if you look at the situation, if you look at the culture and you look at the sport and you see the punishments. that's why i told you if i could go back to that time and say, okay, you're trading my story for a six-month suspension? that's what people got. >> which is what other people got. >> what everybody got. so i got a death penalty and they got -- >> meaning you can never compete again. >> in anything. and i'm not saying that that's unfair necessarily, but i'm saying it's different. >> do you think you've gotten what you deserve?
1:10am
for a long time you were saying everybody was on the witch hunt, on the witch hunt, on the witch hunt for you. do you think in this moment considering how big you were, what that meant, how much people believed, what your name and brand stood for -- >> sure. >> yeah. >> i deserve to be punished. i'm not sure i deserve a death penalty. >> for the record he does not have a death penalty. he's not allowed to compete in sanctioned sporting again. betsy, you're hearing that for the first time. what do you think? >> in a way i really don't think he understands the magnitude of what he's done. he keeps saying that it was the culture, it was the culture, it was the culture. well, you can say it was the culture of baseball to break the home run record to be a doper. that doesn't mean that everybody succumbed and gave in and took steroids to hit a ball far.
1:11am
so i think he's trying to reason this out, and he's just not -- he's just not being -- he's just not being logical. i think he's being a little delusional. i'm going to bill because -- >> let's bring in bill. what do you think? >> yeah. i think what we're seeing here is someone who maybe doesn't know how to tell the truth or look inside and see the truth. i thought the most riveting part when he was talking about his kids was when he said, they just accepted it, as if he couldn't imagine that humans would just love him even if he'd made mistakes. i thought that was such an insight into him. >> i found it interesting in talking about his son, which was clearly he was moved by it, but there wasn't any actual breakdown. there wasn't -- that's the most human i have ever seen him, and even then to me of it wasn't that human. what did you think? >> to people who know him well, i have had some conversations in the last day from former
1:12am
teammates who watched the interview, it's almost like you have to adjust the contrite level on your screen. they saw yesterday and i'm sure they saw today as being the most -- they were stunned at how contrite he was and the rest of us, a lot of americans who didn't know him as well, saw that and said, boy, he doesn't seem very moved. it's almost like he's got this suit of emotional armor on that he's having a hard time breaking out of, and clearly i think betsy's point is great. he's sitting in a crater and it's not all logical, is it? he's trying to make connections, trying to think his way out, talk his way out, make a story, and it's sort of not working. >> go ahead, betsy. >> i was going to say when frank and i spoke with him, we truly -- we felt that he was sincere and he was genuine, and the way he was on the phone with us, and i don't want to go into detail, but the way he was on the phone with us was far different than he's portraying
1:13am
himself on tv. i don't know if it's because he was very nervous or if he's trying to be stoic or have a stiff upper lip. i don't know. but i think it would have been a great benefit to him maybe to let that guard down, but i agree with bill, part of the problem here is telling the truth and being contrite, apologizing, it's inconceivable to us, but it's a new concept to lance. >> he was asked by oprah, can you feel how you have shattered other people's lives. his response was yeah. he also said he didn't try to pay off usada. i want to play one more sound bite from his apology. >> we talked about apologies, and i told you that i owe a lot of people apologies, and the obvious ones, the ones that we
1:14am
know by name, the frankies, the betsys, the greg, the tyler, the floyd landis, i owe them apologies. whenever they are ready, i will give them. >> what was he trying to accomplish here? that remains puzzling to me. he talks about being reinstated. that he thinks he should be reinstated. he's 41 years old. his career as an elite athlete was over anyway. >> he said he would love to run in the chicago marathon at age 50. >> okay. but is that something -- that's so different from what he used to be, to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack in the chicago marathon nine years from now -- >> but he's dominated triathlons. a triathlon is a huge sport in his country. he could be a big name in the world of triathlon. >> the world of triathlons. that's a tiny world. compared to the tour de france. >> yes, compared to the tour de
1:15am
france, but triathlons are a big sport. jeff, i don't know how often you're running out there but there are a lot of folks competing in triathlons. there's not the scale of the tour de france, but there are a lot of events in which -- he's a competitor. he wants to compete. >> well, you can also time yourself and see if you can beat your next time. you can also be a normal weekend athlete. i agree with jeff. it's a puzzle that he would do this, 4.3 million people watched this last night. it turned into sort of a super bowl. but lance turns everything into sort of a super bowl. that's what being lance is. he's always had this cinematic sense of self that he's always been filmed in his own movie. he's almost addicted to that notion of himself as a hero. i think that's one of the more moving things at the end when she said what kind of human being are you, and he didn't have much of an answer, did he? >> we have to take a quick break. we'll have more with our panel on the other side. we'll be right back.
1:16am
1:17am
1:18am
welcome back. more on the breaking news, in lance armstrong's more words. some ugly stuff. how he tarnished the cancer foundation he founded. part two of his interview with oprah winfrey aired moments ago on her network own. it is over now. in it armstrong talks about the staggering financial empire he built that crumbled in a single
1:19am
day. >> i have lost -- certainly lost all future income. >> emotional -- >> and you could look at those two days or day and a half where people left, and i want to give you a number. you asked me the cost. i don't like thinking about it, but that was -- i don't know. that was a $75 million day. >> that just went out of your life. >> gone. >> gone. >> gone. and probably never coming back. >> panel betsy andreu, author daniel coyle, jeffrey toobin. his fortune has been estimated -- do you think it's
1:20am
fair to say lance armstrong would not be lance armstrong if it were not for his doping? if he had not doped, he wouldn't have that money -- i mean -- oprah -- we wouldn't be sitting here talking about him because he wouldn't have achieved the things, the fame, the endorsements all of that had he not doped. betsy? >> but that's all stolen money. i'm jumping up and down here saying are you kidding me? you lost $75 million? boo hoo hoo hoo. i am -- he's not getting it. what about greg lemond's bike company? that was completely destroyed. it doesn't make sense. what about scott mercy not having a career. christof not having a career. other guys not doing what he wanted them to do not having a career. you can't put a price tag on opportunity lost. we're not talking about millions
1:21am
of dollars. we're talking about people who want to make a living so they can pay a mortgage and save some money after. >> and all the people who were never able to accomplish or reach the heights that, you know, of fame that could have brought them income because lance armstrong had the entire spotlight and it was based on doping. >> tyler hamblin's life once said lance armstrong is like donald trump who sees a small grocery store and wants to put them out of business. he soaked up all the sunlight, all the energy, all the money of that sport of that era. >> greg lemond, when i was -- prior to lance armstrong, greg lemond was -- i don't know much about the world of cycling but i remember greg lemond. he had an incredible story. he was an incredible competitor after lance armstrong and lance armstrong, as betty said, went after greg lemond. do you think lance armstrong gets it, bill? >> i think he gets that he
1:22am
should get it, and i think what we're seeing here is he's really struggling with it. what's interesting to me is there's sort of parallel views of this going on. there's a lot of people who are skeptical, but i was reading all the reactions today from jonathan and tyler hamilton and frankie. they have all acknowledged how hard it is just to do what he's done, and frankie in a report today was saying until you sit down and start talking to usada, you don't know how hard that is. the people who are there and made the mistakes he did in a smaller way, they seem to have more empathy for him than everyone else. interesting. >> oprah asked about paying off allegations that he attempted to pay off usada or somebody in his world attempted to pay off usada. let's listen to what he said. >> last wednesday night travis tygart ceo of usada told 60
1:23am
minutes sports that someone on your team offered a donation that usada did not accept. he said it was over $150,000. were you trying to pay off usada? >> no. that's not true. >> that is not true? >> that is not true. and in the thousand-page recent decision they issued, there was a lot of stuff in there. >> yes. >> everything was in there. >> and he's saying it wasn't in that 1,000 page report. travis tygart had said that on 60 minutes sport. >> i would believe travis. >> travis. >> betsy, you would agree? >> travis, yes. my vote is for travis. >> by the way, travis tygart is a huge hero in all of this. there's a guy who was attacked by lance -- sued, you know, who was marginalized in the sports world and he's completely vindicated by these events, and, you know, we'll see if lance armstrong actually cooperates with usada.
1:24am
it's one thing to sit there with oprah winfrey and have the whole world stare at you and feed your ego in a perverse way. sitting there with travis tygart and actually going through where did you get the drugs, who gave it to you -- >> because he really did not go into much detail. i mean, he kind of said it all blends together, i don't remember being in a tent and doing this, he kind of gave broad brush strokes -- >> very vague. >> but there was not a lot of in depth, this is how the whole operation works. >> and that takes time and many, many interviews and a lot of energy and it takes him facing all these things he's repressed for so long. >> we talked about whether or not he gets it. he talk about that tonight. let's listen. >> when something like this happens, what you hope is that it leaves an impression that causes a shift or a change within you. has that happened with you yet? >> i'd be lying if i said that it has.
1:25am
again, i keep going to this word and this idea of process. i got work to do, and it's -- i can't -- there's not going to be one tectonic shift here that says okay, he's good now. >> he talked about this being a process a lot, and he talked about that he's now in more regular therapy, that he's been in therapy on and off over years, but he needs to be in regular therapy. talked about being willing to apology to people when they're willing to hear it and ready to hear it. but the question is will he testify. will he actually, you know, name names of other folks and will he go in front of usada. >> and he's going to be spending plenty of times in courtrooms over the next few years. he's going to be subpoenaed in these lawsuits to get the money back from the sponsors, to get
1:26am
the money back from the tour de france and potentially in floyd landis' whistle-blower. he's not going to have a choice but to answer more questions about this and he's likely to have a pretty ugly time. >> do you still think, jeff, from a legal standpoint it was a mistake for him to do this? >> total awful mistake. >> really? >> maybe he was dealing with some psychological thing and maybe he wanted to prove to his son he could tell the truth and that's very important and maybe it's more important than the legal side of things but from the legal side of things in terms of his civil liability this was a huge mistake. >> betsy, i want to play you
1:27am
something about his ex-wife kristin and what she knew about the doping. >> oh, my god. >> was betsy telling the truth about the indiana hospital? overhearing you in 1996? >> i'm not going to take that on, and i'm laying down on that one. >> was betsy lying? >> i'm just not -- i'm going to put that one down and i don't want -- she asked me and i asked her not to talk about -- >> what you said. >> details of the call. it was a confidential, personal conversation. >> sorry, this was obviously the wrong bite. we played that bite for you yesterday. you already reacted to that. let's play the bite about kristin. >> she wasn't that curious. perhaps she didn't want to know. she certainly knew but didn't need to know basis. i guess maybe i protected her a
1:28am
little bit from that. >> he went on to say, betsy, that the reason -- that he made a promise, that she asked him not to dope if he made a comeback for the 2009-2010, and he -- that it was a serious request, a hard request by her, and he made a vow to her that he would not dope for his comeback, and that's i guess the idea being that's why he didn't dope and why he lived up to that promise. do you buy that? >> i don't, and this is a very touchy subject for me because i almost have more of a disdain for the people who aided and abetted lance than i did -- than i did for lance or do for lance. i think it's really disingenuous. according to mike anderson, didn't she stuff money in her chanel jacket and there were -- wasn't there anything hidden in the baby carriage? i mean, i have a real problem, and i don't want to -- it couldn't have been easy to be married to lance, not at all. she distributed drugs. i mean, dan wrote that she distributed drugs for lance, and i have a huge problem with -- a huge problem with that because i really think a lot of these women, they love the lifestyle because in europe cycling is completely different than it is in the united states, and obviously lance and kristin were making a lot of money. a lot of people were making a lot of money, and i think a lot of these women love the money and they didn't care if their husbands were doping because you could afford the louis vuitton and the cartier sunglasses. so i have a problem with that, a big, big, big problem with that because i never blogged about morality. i never blogged about doing the right thing. i tried to walk the talk, and we see what -- we see what happened, so i'm not so sure i i mean, i have a real problem,
1:29am
and i don't want to -- it couldn't have been easy to be married to lance, not at all. she distributed drugs. i mean, dan wrote that she distributed drugs for lance, and i have a huge problem with -- a huge problem with that because i really think a lot of these women, they love the lifestyle because in europe cycling is completely different than it is in the united states, and obviously lance and kristin were making a lot of money. a lot of people were making a lot of money, and i think a lot of these women love the money and they didn't care if their husbands were doping because you could afford the louis vuitton and the cartier sunglasses. so i have a problem with that, a big, big, big problem with that because i never blogged about morality. i never blogged about doing the right thing. i tried to walk the talk, and we see what -- we see what happened, so i'm not so sure i buy that because -- yeah.
1:30am
>> daniel? >> there's an account in the usada report that refers to kristin armstrong wrapping cortisone pills in foil and handing them out at the world championships before lance got cancer i think. and there are other accounts that link her loosely to being present when testosterone patches are being handed to floyd landis. there was some connection there and it did seem -- when lance got to that point of the interview that he swore a vow to
1:31am
his ex-wife that he was going to do his comeback clean, bill and i looked to each other and shook our heads because it sounded unlikely, didn't pass the smell
1:32am
1:33am
1:34am
1:35am
>> what douse to those millions of people who believed? >> i say i understand your anger, your sense of betrayal. you supported me forever, through all of this, and you believe, and i lied to you, and i'm sorry. and i will spend -- i will spend, and i am committed to
1:36am
spending as long as i have to to make amends knowing full well that i won't get very many back. >> back with our panel. betsy, daniel, bill strickland and jeffrey toobin. betsy, he said he's going to spend as long as it takes to make amends.
1:37am
could he ever regain you and
1:38am
your husband's trust? >> who knows. i mean, this is -- you know, again, it's a range of emotions because we talked to him on the phone. he seemed sincere, and then he goes on national tv and stuff comes out of his mouth, and i was just -- he's cherry picking what the truth is, and i don't -- and he's trying to justify why some people did some stuff, and he's trying to protect a lot of people, and he doesn't -- he just doesn't get -- he does not get the hurt that he's caused people. he's crying -- not crying but saying $75 million, he lost that and it's never going to come back. well, maybe he can take one ever oprah's life lessons. she can hire him and she is advertise that. i don't think he gets it. i don't think he gets it. and so i don't know. i mean, i know this is a process and i know it's baby steps, and i know he's going to make
1:39am
mistakes, but it just seems like this is not going very well. >> bill, do you think it was a mistake for him to do it in this way? >> i don't know. obviously it would have been better for him to do it in private, whether that was with a therapist or like tyler and daniel were able to work through. but this is just so big that it's just -- it's kick started it into a whole different realm. i don't know if that's good for him or not. it seems to be the only way he can live. >> it was interesting, oprah ask him whether or not he owes an apology to david walsh, one of the few journalists who was on this story from long, long ago who was isolated by lance, attacked by lance armstrong and he sort of -- >> and sued by lance armstrong. >> he sort of said i'd apologize to dave. that was basically it. which i thought was interesting. this is a guy who, you know, was right about him from early, early on. >> that's right. >> he's obviously known for being extraordinarily driven, and that i think really comes out in this interview. he was asked by oprah about his state of mind. i want to play this. >> were you ever in a position where you felt like, wow, i don't want to get out of bed. i know you have been running and jogging. did it hit you to the point of i don't know what to do? >> i have been to a dark place that was not my doing. i have been to a place where i didn't know if i was going to live a month, six months, a year, five years, ten years. it's helped me now. i mean, this is not a good time,
1:40am
but it isn't the worst part of my life. i mean, you cannot compare this to a diagnosis and an advanced diagnosis and 50/50 odds or whatever the odds are. of that sets the bar. it's close, but i'm an optimist. >> oprah actually at one point used the word sociopath and narcissist and he chimed in with narcissist. i'm not sure -- he didn't say anything about the sociopath thing but -- oprah asked him about why he tweeted out that picture of him in austin laying on the couch looking at all his jerseys, and he said that at the time he actually thought this was a good idea. he now realizes it was a bad idea. but it is amazing when you think, that wasn't that long ago. that was right after the usada report came out. so he was defiant and -- i mean, that was his mind frame, what
1:41am
was that, a few weeks ago. >> can we just also say, i'd just like to say for myself i thought oprah did a phenomenal job.
1:42am
i thought a lot of us were prepared to say, oh, just a bunch of softballs, new age nonsense.
1:43am
this was great. i thought as a journalist, you
1:44am
1:45am
1:46am
thought oprah did a phenomenal job. i thought a lot of us were prepared to say, oh, just a bunch of softballs, new age nonsense. this was great. i thought as a journalist, you know, she just did a terrific job -- >> i think she did an excellent job. >> in showing that photo, the tweeted photo with the yellow jerseys, the question she asked, what is that? i thought that was exactly the right question. what is that? who does something like that?
1:47am
>> well, of course i did. that's why i flipped out. it didn't make sense. now we know with all the research that growth hormone feeds cancer cells and didn't ferrari even say to floyd that he was nervous and that's -- about some of the stuff and that's why he didn't give lance -- that license didn't take growth hormone when he came back? i think it's ludicrous that it's not even -- i don't believe him again. this is another thing where i don't believe him. >> and, again, if people had known -- if, in fact, that is true, that the substances did have something to do with his cancer, if people had known that that's where -- that his cancer
1:48am
might have been impacted by that, i wonder how that would have changed the public perception of his whole story.
1:49am
>> well, it was always before, you always heard, oh, it doesn't matter because they all do it, and then it became, well, you know, he does so much good, it really doesn't matter. and now it's just a whole how are they going to craft this because it's just -- it's a nightmare. if i could just get back to one thing, it seems like lance is more sorry that he can't compete than having wreaked havoc on so many people's lives. well, when he walked -- usada offered him a deal, and he
1:50am
turned it down. he walked away -- when he walked away, he knowingly accepted a lifetime ban from sanctioned competition, but, as always, the rules didn't apply to him, and he thinks the rules don't apply to him now. and it's just astounding. >> the notion that the drugs may have had something to do with his cancer it must have been talked about on the tour. >> it is. floyd gives an account of his private doping doctor being concerned about that. >> it's worth pointing out the reason steroids and all these things are banned are not just because they give you a competitive advantage, it's because they are incredibly dangerous. you can die from taking these drugs. maybe you get cancer but there are all sorts of health effects. when we have young athletes who
1:51am
want to get better desperately, we don't want to have them take these drugs that will destroy their health. >> do you think, bill, do you think he can come back? i mean, i don't know what that means, coming back.
1:52am
whether it's, you know -- if
1:53am
1:54am
1:55am
>> erin, the latest information we're getting is the name of that american who did die. it's coming in a statement from victoria nuland who is the spokesperson for the state department. she said that his name was fredrick buttaccio and he died in that hostage situation. the state department is expressing its deepest condolences to the family and also the friends of fredrick buttaccio. but they're not giving any details and that is one thing that has plagued it's information coming out of algeria ever since this began. we do know from a u.s. official that six americans, however, were freed or escaped, and others still are unaccounted
1:56am
for. earlier friday victoria nuland also said that some americans are being held hostage. freeing of more hostages and it now has the hostage takers kind of hunkered down. we're just not sure about the numbers. the numbers have been all over the map. i know the algerian news agency has released numbers. i have a feeling we'll find those aren't accurate either.
1:57am
1:58am
1:59am